How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2667
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just moved back to Canada (Im Canadian, husband in American).

Customer Question

Just moved back to Canada (I'm Canadian, husband in American). I work full time and my husband is in Canada on a student visa, with his schooling being covered by his GI bill benefits (he was active duty Air Force for 12 years, honorably discharged).
We have 30,000+ in unsecured credit card debt in the States, and a mortgage in the States (we have no equity in the mortgage and currently have renters living in the house, paying the mortgage payments). We do have a house in Canada, but it was purchased through a private mortgage, not through a bank.
We are considering filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but need to know how this will affect:
-our mortgaged house in the States, and the renters currently occupying it
-my husband's GI bill
-my credit rating in Canada
-our personal mortgage in Canada
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are behind on two credit card companies' payments, and have debt collectors calling every two hours daily from one. Juggling bank accounts both in Canada and the US, bills both sides, and living in Canada/working in the US (bordertown), is extremely complicated, and we have not transitioned well. We moved to Canada last year.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry that your question has not yet been answered.

Can you let me know if you still want an answer?

If you do I will make my best efforts to find an expert who can answer this question for you.

So please just let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's all right. I am not in a time crunch, so perhaps I inappropriately prioritized this question as urgent. It is an urgent and pressing question, but I can wait for an answer. While I do urgently need to resolve our current financial situation, without an informed direction, I will continue on as is in the meantime.

In short, yes, I'd still love an answer. I know our situation is extremely complex, which is why I appreciate the expert legal advice.

Many thanks in advance,
Anna-Lee Higgins
Expert:  Debra replied 6 years ago.
I think the problem is that you are asking about US law primarily.

So I moved this question to the US bankruptcy law list but then it was moved back to the Canada law list.

No one on our list knows US law.

I suggest that you post a new question about the US aspects of the question leaving out that Canada law aspects for now and post it under "bankruptcy law".

You can the post a second question under Canada law later if necessary.