How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have resided in FL for the past 7 years. I am thinking about

This answer was rated:

I have resided in FL for the past 7 years. I am thinking about updating my Trust/Will since the original one was prepared in New York. If I make this change, will my new/revised Trust and Will in Florida be protected via Medicaid Shield in the event my wife or I are placed in an ederly home five years from the effective date of this change?
Welcome Back Art Carlo,

Yes -- provided you do not make withdrawals from the trust but merely change the situs of the trust from New York to Florida. Typically you would wait until your bankruptcy is completed before making any changes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does it matter if the Family Trust is revocable or irrevocable?

Only an irrevocable trust would shield assets enabling you to obtain Medicaid
Ellen and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you