How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I filed bankruptcy in December of 2003 and need to file

Resolved Question:

If I filed bankruptcy in December of 2003 and need to file again, due to unseen economy problems, health issues, death in the family, family problems, a bad mortgage & last years Furlough days. What can I do to stop the garnishment that is being taking out of my check that will cause me to loose my house over a credit card debt.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Filing a bankruptcy petition will immediately stop the garnishment

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if the credit card company garnishes my check how much can the garnish up to per pay period or is it once a month. And would it be better to let them garnish my check and in December then file for a chapter 7. Because if I do a chapter 13 won't all the creditor I owe be able to be paid under the chapter 13.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
In Washington 25% of the paycheck may be garnished
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you