How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im doing a modification on my home, but i need to file bankrupcy

Customer Question

im doing a modification on my home, but i need to file bankrupcy on a couple of credit cards, but i cant afford a lawyer, is there somone that could help me
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You will want to complete your modification prior to filing for bankruptcy. Once you file bankruptcy, the modification process will immediately stop. The automatic stay of the bankruptcy court will prohibit the modification absent bankruptcy court approval. Therefore it is best to complete the modification prior to filing bankruptcy.

Is not necessary for a person to file bankruptcy prior to a lawsuit being filed on a credit card.

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.