How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filwed for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy a few months ago. I am

Resolved Question:

I filwed for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy a few months ago. I am increasingly suspicious of the quality of legal care I am recieving. The first issue was that the attorney took over a month to file my petition, depsite my repeated urgency, and only filed an abbreviated petition after my utilities were cut off. The second invloves his refusal to list all of my creditors on the initial petition. He insisted on doing the ones on my credit report only at first and then later charging me to add the others despite having a complete list all along. He further insisted on only listing my income and not the household income. This was another red flag the trustee mentioned and insisted be corrected. At the 341 meeting, I was chastised by the trustee for not listing debt amounts next to the addtional creditors despite being told be my attorney to do so. Also, the trustee gave us two weeks to producse addtional documents and amend the schedules which he has not done. Finally, we agreed to a redemption dollar amount on a vehicle and he wants an extra $500 to handle the order preparation. Am I wrong to have issue with this performance and what steps should I take ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

I do agree with you. All creditors, the amounts of the debts and all household income should have been listed properly on your petition. Most attorneys will charge a small additional fee to negotiate a redemption however $500 is high. You may consider retaining a new attorney to file your amended schedules and handle the redemption. Your new attorney may ask the court to order your current attorney to disgorge his attorneys fees- this means ask the court to require your current attorney to refund your attorneys fees.

Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you