Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

If a separated married couple files a joint Chapter 7 bankruptcy,

Customer Question
do both spouses have to...
If a separated married couple files a joint Chapter 7 bankruptcy, do both spouses have to show up at the creditor's meeting, or can just one show up to represent both of them? If both must show up, what kind of penalties are there if only one shows up (does it wind up in permanent dismissal, or will the judge allow for a delay of the case, etc.)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
7/2/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Both joint debtors must attend the 341 hearing. The bankruptcy can and typically will be dismissed if the debtors do not intend
Ellen, Attorney