WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Im still trying to figure out how to retain an attorney in

Customer Question

I'm still trying to figure out how to retain an attorney in Poughkeepsie NY for a modification of the divorce decree. I have now filed Chapter 7 and will follow that with Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Could I hire an attorney without a large retainer knowing that he would be protected on his fees given the Chapter 13 reorg?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In Chapter 13 cases, many attorneys will allow you to pay their fees through the chapter 13 plan, however you will have to shop around for an attorney who would let you do this.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In NY, you should contact the county bar association and they will give you a list of NY bankruptcy attorneys to contact.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Most attorneys will take a small retainer up front and allow you to make a monthly payment plan

WALLSTREETESQ :

typically as low as $500 per month until the legal fee is paid.

Customer :

What I need is a family law attorney who can modify my alimony ASAP - I already have the BK attorney who will do the Chap 13...Will a family law atty do the same?

WALLSTREETESQ :

A family law attorney would not allow their legal fees to be paid by a chapter 13 plan, for a modification you can go directly to the Family Court and try it yourself, but as a NY attorney I can tell you a Family law attorney would not make such an arrangement, but would allow a monthly payment plan

Customer :

It seems almost impossible to do it myself. The legal system is so murky.

Customer :

so it seems I need to find an atty who will take a monthly payment plan. Is there a trick to finding such a guy? I have called just about every atty in Poughkeepsie and couldn't find one guy who would do anything like that.

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would contact the bar association or even try Craigslist or a pre paid legal service, which will have attorneys who will do this for a discounted rate.

WALLSTREETESQ :

On craigslist under legal services many attorneys advertise low rates for legal documents and payment plans, you may have to use another County attorney, but a modification is not too hard

Customer :

I tried to find legal services but only found pre-paid legal which is just this $19/month program that does nothing. Craig's list was pretty vague. Do you know of any sites where attorneys say they work on payment plans?

WALLSTREETESQ :

no, I do not, you would have to contact the attorneys directly. Their are many in NY that do work on payment plans, so you may want to have the bar association of your county provide you a list of local family court attorneys.