How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 12250
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for bankruptcy in 2007. In 2008, the bankruptcy case

Resolved Question:

I filed for bankruptcy in 2007. In 2008, the bankruptcy case was closed without a discharge. How do I fix this? Please answer. Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

What are the details of the bankruptcy case? Why were you not discharged?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for answering.

I was so ashamed about the bankruptcy, I tried to avoid the subject as much as I could.. I thought everything was over. A friend of mine who is now a law student was asking me the details about my bankruptcy and discovered on "the pacer" that I was not discharged. The bankruptcy was closed without prejudice for failure to fill a form and also to take a financial management class.

I remember I took that class. credit counseling something was supposed to fax it to the attorney's office. When I tried to call that place, they were closed. no records.

It was my fault. My attorney could not find me. I kept changing address, and I did not know that I had to keep in touch with my attorney. I fell so bad. I fell into despair.

I would like to salvage, if I can.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If I were you, I'd contact your attorney to see if he thinks that your case can be reopened, and the proper filings can be made. It's possible since the case was closed without prejudice. However, my guess is that it's too late and that you'll need to refile a new bankruptcy to have the debts discharged. Having said all that, when you talk to your attorney you may want to ask whether it's even necessary to bother with. In other words, even if you weren't discharged, it may be too late for your creditors to do anything about it. The statute of limitations may have expired, and if they haven't already been hounding you, then they may have written those debts off. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that getting a discharge may not even be necessary.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our session). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
TJ, Esq. and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you