WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and it was discharged in 2010.I

I filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and it was discharged in 2010.I surrendered my house in the bankruptcy. The mortgage was sold to another company. The new company is trying to get me to do a deed in lieu. The house was in the bankruptcy so do I need to do anything with the new company? Also the old mortgage company just sent a verification notice to my husbands employer.Why woukd they still be asking for his information if they sold the mortgage?
.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

Are you living in the property?

Customer:

no

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you surrendered the property and the mortgage was discharged, their is no reason for you to be involved with the new mortgage company in any way.

Customer:

I have been out of it since november 2009.

WALLSTREETESQ :

They may have not been able to sell the property and are asking you to do a deed in lieu so they can save money on a foreclosure,

Customer:

What about the old company asking for my husbands information?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Their is no reason why they would send a verification letter to your husbands work, unless they are planning to offer you a new mortgage

Customer:

So we don't need to do anything with either company?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Their is no need for an attorney in this situation, but I would contact the original mortgage company that contacted your husband and threaten them with violating the bankruptcy discharge, and that you will file a complaint against them if they continue to harass your family.

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would only deal with the mortgage company who is requesting a deed in lieu if they offer you cash to do this.