How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Kansas and are planning to file bankruptcy. There

Resolved Question:

We live in Kansas and are planning to file bankruptcy. There is a federal tax lien on our home that is far in excess of the value of the home. The home is on a city lot less than 1 acre. In Kansas, we plan to claim the home as exempt under the Kansas Homestead Act. How do I complete Bankruptcy Form 8? We plan to check "Retained" and "Claimed as exempt", but there is a statement that reads "If retaining the property, I intend to (check at least one):". Then there are three boxes. Do I check the last box, which is "Other" and add the comment "avoid lien that may cloud the homestead title pursuant to K.S.A. 60-2301" ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You would check "Other", and add "Avoid Lien using 522(f)".


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

cfortunato and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you