How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy and owe back child support

Resolved Question:

I need to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy and owe back child support and back taxes. Is there any way to file without doing an actual garnishment from my check. It could put my job at risk doing so, at the very least put me in unfavorable view of being able to be promoted.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACustomer,
Most Chapter 13 debtors pay the plan payment to the trustee - their wages are not garnished for this purpose. There is no requirement that one's wages be garnished, and the decision to do so belongs to the debtor, not to the Bankrutpcy trustee.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Maybe garnished is the wrong word. I want to be able to pay the trustee through a bank account, money order, etc versus a payroll deduction. I don't want a payment processed through my employer.