How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was ordered to pay restitution to an insurance company for

Resolved Question:

I was ordered to pay restitution to an insurance company for plastic surgery done to my "Victim" Long story short, it was court ordered after I had plead guilty to pay restitution. I am wondering if I could file for bankruptcy and be able to have this dismissed. To help out I have provided a link to my case:
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

Debts that are incurred "for willful and malicious injury" are not dischargeable in a Bankruptcy. Bankruptcy Stat. 523(a)(6).


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

cfortunato and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you