How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed Chapter 13 about 2 years ago. I have to turn

Resolved Question:

I have filed Chapter 13 about 2 years ago. I have to turn over any tax refunds to the Trustee. This year I have to pay $1072 to Federal, but I get A refund of $210 from the state. Can I use the state refund to offset the federal payment.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney here to assist you.


You can't use the money unless the trustee approves it. Thus, the first thing you need to do have your attorney contact the trustee and get permission to use the money to reduce your federal tax liability. The trustee will likely approve this - but you have to get clearance.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you