Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am in Chapter 13. I recently received Vetertans Compensation

Customer Question
I am in Chapter 13...
I am in Chapter 13. I recently received Vetertan's Compensation This included a substantial retroactive payment. Do I have to give any of this to Bankruptcy?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
4/8/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cfortunato, Attorney replied 6 years ago
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney

Hi JACustomer,

What is the compensation for?

It is disability for service connected conditions.
Were those conditions based your being the "victim of a war crime, crime against humanity, or as a victim of international or domestic terrorism"?
No they were for service connected disabilities
Were you hurt while serving in the armed forces? How were you hurt or disabled?
It was for illness caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

That was a "crime against humanity". Compensation in the form of income based on this is exempt from the Bankrutpcy court.

In other words, the Bankruptcy court cannot take your retroactive compensation money.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney