How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have file for bankruptcy chapter 7 prose and i listed out

Resolved Question:

i have file for bankruptcy chapter 7 prose and i listed out everything including my vehicle financed with DCU. After the filing everything is showing in my credit report as included in chapter. After i got my discharge in April 2010. A year after DCU ask me if i want to start making payment but due a loss of my job i did not kept the payment on track but made payment from nov 2010 to jan 11. Now a week back DCU repo my vehicle and want me to pay the missing payment since bankruptcy to date to get the car back, for a toatl amount of $5500. I saw they are not report the past 3 payment to my credit, so here are my questions: 1- Is a good thing to make the payment or let the car go? 2- what are the responsalibities of the bank is this matter toward me? 3-Anything i can ask them to do to report a payment or what should i do please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


If the vehicle loan was included in the bankruptcy and you did not sign a reaffirmation agreement, there is no loan that you have to repay as it was discharged in the BK. Any payments you made after the BK were as if you were renting the car on a month to month basis. They could have reposed at anytime since the loan was not paid in full and Bk filed.


The bank cannot ask you o pay for the loan. You can agree to pay month to month to rent the car but I would not sign any thing that says that you reaffirm the loan. Since there is no loan after the BK, they have no duty to report payments on your credit.




If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .


You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

you said ''If the vehicle loan was included in the bankruptcy and you did not sign a reaffirmation agreement, there is no loan that you have to repay as it was discharged in the BK"

So this mean that i have to keep the car? since the loan was discharge under chapter 7? i never sign any reaffirmation agreement

Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

If it was discharged and you never signed an affirmation agreement, then it means that the lender could take the car from you at anytime but you are not responsible for the loan anymore. In other words, the lender could have been allowing you to continue to drive the car so long as you paid the monthly payments, just as if you were renting month to month. But, if they decide they do not want to do that, they can take the car back at anytime and you do not have to pay them payments.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok now that they have the car with my belongings inside. Can i get my personal items back?

i do have the money to pay but not sure since there no reaffirmation agreement how that payment will be treated

Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

If you do not have the car in your possession, there is no sense paying the bill as you do not owe on a loan. If they let you drive the car then you can pay the monthly bill.


To get your persona belongings back, write a letter by certified mail RR to them and the repo lot (if you the address) stating that they have your personal belongings in there and that you would like to set up a time to come pick them up.


If after 30 days you don't claim the items then the items are considered abandoned and can be disposed of in anyway the repo man wants.

Maverick and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you