How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31786
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently passed away and I have no income. I am

Resolved Question:

My husband recently passed away and I have no income. I am too young for social security; can I file bankruptcy for bills with his and my name on them? Some do not have my name on them.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.


You are not responsible for your husband's individual debts as Missouri is not a community property state.


However, any joint accounts would now be your complete responsibility because of your husband's passing.


Bankruptcy would be an effective tool to have these debts discharged and forgiven.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you