How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i filed bankruptcy last year my bankruptcy was discharged in

This answer was rated:

i filed bankruptcy last year my bankruptcy was discharged in 7/10 I now have a creditor with a debt of mine that is more than twenty years old trying to garnish my wages . this was not listed on my credit report what should i do?

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Did you file a chapter 7 or a chapter 13 bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your information

You will want to respond to the garnishment with a copy of your discharge in bankruptcy. An omitted debt is discharged by the chapter 7 bankruptcy if it would have been discharged had it been properly scheduled
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

do i send a copy of the discharge to the court or to the debt collector?


The discharge should be filed with the court and a copy sent to the creditor's attorney
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you