socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

can a mortgage company sell a debt to another company during

Customer Question

can a mortgage company sell a debt to another company during bankruptcy and not tell the debtor or court? can a collection agency try to make you pay a debt if it was discharged on bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
can a mortgage company sell a debt to another company during bankruptcy and not tell the debtor or court?

A: Yes. The bankruptcy stay and injunction prevents the creditor from taking any collection action against the debtor. Selling the debt to a debt collector, however, is not a collection action, because it doesn't directly affect the debtor.

can a collection agency try to make you pay a debt if it was discharged on bankruptcy?

A: No. If the debt collector does not immediately cease and desist in the collection effort, you can file an action for contempt in bankruptcy court and the court can award you damages and attorney's fees.

You can also complain to the Federal Trade Commission.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answering your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.