How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How soon can you do a chapter 13 after you had one in 2007

Resolved Question:

How soon can you do a chapter 13 after you had one in 2007 to save our home
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You can file a Chapter 13 exactly 4 years after the date that the Chapter 7 was discharged. Bankruptcy Stat. 1328(f)(1).


I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This was a Chapter 13 though and discharged I think in 2009 March, if not before because we took care of it earlier, we had a chapter 7 in 2005 or 2006 and it discharged within a yr
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

For an earlier Chapter 13, you have to wait only 2 years after the discharge to file another Chapter 13. Bankruptcy Stat. 1328(f)(2).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, can I ask you who could help us in doing this again? I didnt care for our last bancruptcy lawyer. Were In Haysville, Ks, Wichita, Ks would be the main part, thanks for your help so much, were striving to do what we can.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.
Yes - you should call the Kansas Bar Association to ask for a recommendation for a Bankruptcy attorney. The number is (785)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>.
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you