How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I belonged to a tennis club which I resigned from 2 years ago.

This answer was rated:

I belonged to a tennis club which I resigned from 2 years ago. I have been waiting for them to sell my membership to receive my deposit. I received a letter last month that they have declared bankrupcy. Is there any way for me to get my money back?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney here to assist you.

What chapter bankruptcy did th club file?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Kirk. Chapter 11
Ok. Thanks.

That is good news for you because a chapter 11 is a reorganization of debt - not a liquidation. This means that the club is not getting rid of their debts and obligations.

Thus, you should be able to recover your deposit. My suggestion is that you have a proof of claim filed to stake a claim to the money the club owes you. The proof of claim will let the court know you're owed money and it will address and resolve your claim.

I would recommend that you have a local lawyer do this for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you know any lawyers in San Francisco? The bankrupcy was filed in NY because they also own the grand walea, la quinta ect. How much will it cost to do this?
You can look for a bankruptcy lawyer in your area at

It should cost less than $100 to file a proof of claim.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you