How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, In 2006 my husband file chapter 13. The attorney he

Resolved Question:

In 2006 my husband file chapter 13. The attorney he used was suppose to add his credit cards debt in the bankruptcy and did not. So, in the midst of adding the credit cards, in 2009 the chapter 13 mortgage portion was discharged and the conversion, from chpt 13 to chpt 7, the attorney filed, was never processes..

1) In the state of NJ can he still file Chapter 7?

2) Can he also file Chapter 13 again, if he need too? What or is there a statue of limitations?

2) Can he file an attorney grievence against this attorney?

Mrs. Griffith
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

A person can file Chapter 7 again if it has been more than 8 years since he or she filed the previous Chapter 7 bankruptcy or 6 years since the filing of a Chapter 13.

A debtor can refile a Chapter 13 at anytime.

You can file a grievance with the State Bar Association at any time
Ellen and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you