Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

What is the average cost to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy I

Customer Question
What is the average cost...
What is the average cost to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy?

I have a car I am making payments on and want to let it go (surrender it) and understand I'm still liable for the amount of the car. What happens to the car, the payment, etc. if I file a chapter 13?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/1/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney replied 6 years ago
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In a chapter 13 you have to arrange for a payment plan to all your creditors.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Once you file the chapter 13, the car would be surrendered to the lender, and they will sell it an an auction.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The balance left over, would have to be paid over in your chapter 13 plan over 60 months.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you plan is a 10% plan you would only pay 10% of the debt over 60 months.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The average legal fee for a chapter 13 would be $1500-$5000 in legal fees.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Many times you can include your attorney fee in the chapter 13 plan as well.

WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney