Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

If I file for a chapter 13 bk and then convert it to a chapter

If I file for a chapter 13 bk and then convert it to a chapter 7 down the road, are the income qualifications based on your income when you originally filed the 13 or what your income is at the time you convert it to a 7?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

The courts have said that the means test is not required to be recalculated on a conversion.

Terry L. :

You have to demonstrate the change of circumstances to show that you can no longer afford the ch13 payments.

Terry L. :

The trustee can object if they feel you still have enough income to pay, but if you have a loss of job then there should be no issues.

Terry L. :

thanks for your question, good luck