How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will need to file bankraupcy. I lost me job after 20 years,

This answer was rated:

I will need to file bankraupcy. I lost me job after 20 years, but am now employed with a different company. My income dropped from approx 160,000 to $120,000. My problem is I have around 200,000 in unsecured debt which includes a repo with approx $45000 deficit. When calling an attorney to find out the cost to bk, he stated I made too much money and would have to file at chapter 13 instead of chapter 7. I asked doesn't it matter what you owe versus income, and he said he would look it up and get back to me. He never did. What is your opinion as I will need to do something soon before attachments.


Hi JACustomer,

The income qualification for filing a Chapter 7 does not at all depend on the amount that is owed.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you