Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I live in Florida and Im buried in credit card and student

Customer Question
I live in Florida and...
I live in Florida and I'm buried in credit card and student loan debt. After careful thinking, I hired an bankruptcy attorney and I'm been making monthly payments. I 'll finish paying the attorney's fee this month. I really want to move on and get a fresh start over.

However, I have the following question: if I file my income tax now, could my return be taken away when the attorney files my petition for bankruptcy? If correct, can I postpone my income tax return through an extension, so that I could keep my income tax return later on this year?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/6/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cfortunato, Attorney replied 6 years ago
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney

Hi JACustomer,

1) Will you be using the homestead exemption when you file? In other words, do you have a home with equity that you need to protect?

2) How much equity does your car have?

3) How much of a refund are you expecting from each return - federal, state, and city?

Edited by cfortunato on 2/6/2011 at 12:30 AM EST

Thanks for the quick response.

1) I do not own a house, so the first statement does not apply to me.

2) I dont have a car; I do have one, but it's on my father's name.

3) I'm expecting, I think $3400 for federal income taxes.

Also, I have around $3100 in checking and savings. I know my attorney can answers these questions, but I would have to wait until Monday.

Thanks

In Florida, the federal income tax return refund is exempt from the Bankruptcy estate. If you are only expecting to receive a federal tax refund - not state or city - you do not have to wait to file a Bankruptcy.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

Hi again,
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
If not, please don't forget to hit the "ACCEPT" button.
Thank you!
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney