WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My husband received a collection call & letter from a collection

My husband received a collection call & letter from a collection agency for some private student loans that show they were discharged in our Chapter 7 back in 11/2010. We double checked his credit report and it does show that these loans were included and discharged. What are our rights? What should we do?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

Customer :

hi

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the private student loans were actually discharged and listed in your discharge letter, you should contact the collection company and send them your case number XXXXX copy of your petition with the discharge letter. Advise them if they try to pursue collections they are in violation of Federal law and you will bring legal action against them.

Customer :

the discharge letter does not list specific debtors, it just says we were discharged

WALLSTREETESQ :

They will want to see the entire petition, especially your list of creditors, and statement of intention and creditors matrix, as long as the loan is listed you are fine.

Customer :

ok. they were definitely listed on the original petition

Customer :

thanks for your help