How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in the state of georgi aabout 7 months ago my chapter

Resolved Question:

i live in the state of georgi aabout 7 months ago my chapter 7 has been mortage company raised my payment $140 bucks and raised the late fees so now i cant afford my house can i file chapter 13?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.



Yes, that is what is known unofficially as a chapter 20 and can often be a smart move. Also, since there has been a change in your payments, this will not likely viewed as fraudulent. Also, now would be a good time to file since it will not effect your credit for anytime longer than the chapter 7 which will be on your record for ten years while a chapter 13 is only there for 7 years.





If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .


You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what if i want to walk away from the house?? can i and how much would i have to pay? i owe 200,000
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

What is the house worth?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in this market 100 k .. he needs alot of work the a/c or heat dosent work now..
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you can walk away but you would be on the hook for the negative balance between the loan amount owed and the fair market value as GA allows lenders to collect deficiency judgments.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
threw a chapter 13? lets say the balance is 140k how much would i pay..
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
Not sure what you are asking. Under a Chapter 13 you do not walk away, it is more of a reorganization plan but you still have to pay the secured creditor the full amount of his loan.
Maverick and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you