Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

court ordered mutual temporary restraining order issued one

Customer Question
month prior to husband's chapter...
court ordered mutual temporary restraining order issued one month prior to husband's chapter 7 bankruptcy petition. the restraining order was not listed on petition. what effect does a restraining order have on chapter 7 filing?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/1/2011
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Can you please give us a little more background information so we can better assist you? I am not sure that I see how the restraining order has any bearing on the Bk and vice a versa.

will a restraining order filed in state court to stop dissipation of marital assets have any bearing on chapter 7 bankruptcy

1. It would appear that both the restraining order and the filing of the BK would have the same effect as an automatic stay would be imposed when the Bk was filed.

2. So, for example, if the restraining order states that your husband cannot reckless spend all the money in a joint bank account and then your husband files bankruptcy, the bankruptcy trustee steps into the shoes of your husband and is faced with the order.

3. However, anything that the trustee does is not likely to violate the state's dissipation of marital assets order and it is further unlikely that any state court judge is going to tangle with a federal BK judge's automatic stay order.

In sum, I do not see how the state order has any bearing on the BK filing.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

would the court ordered restraining order have to be listed on petition
A restraining order is not an asset or debt per se, so it would not have a place on the BK schedules for that to be listed.
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney