cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

DUE TO THE POTENTIAL BUSINESS SEIZURE BY THE STATE OF NJ DEPT

DUE TO THE POTENTIAL BUSINESS SEIZURE BY THE STATE OF NJ DEPT OF TAXATION ON THE GROUNDS OF UNPAID SALES TAX, MY DAUGHTER'S BUSINESS ( A FLOWERSHOP) ( ON PAPER) FOR HER NAME APPEARS AS THE PRINCIPAL,SEES ITSELF IN A POSSIBILITY OF HAVING TO APPLY FOR BANKRUPTCY PROTECTION. MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS (SEIZURES) THAT ARE TRACED BACK TO HER CHILDHOOD. RECENTLY SHE WAS APPROVED FOR MEDICAID OR MEDICARE ASSISTANCE, WILL FILING FOR BANKRUPTCY RISKS THE CHANCE OF THESE BENEFITS BEING TAKEN AWAY? THE FLOWERSHOP CONDUCTS BUSINESS AS A LLC
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

A Bankruptcy filing - either for the business or for herself personally - will not affect your daughter's Medicaid or Medicare benefits.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU, BUT MY COMPUTER HAD FROZEN. MY EX WAS VERY CONCERNED ABOUT MY DAUGHTER LOSING HER ELIGIBILTY TO THESE BENEFITS. IF INDEED THERE IS NO RISK THEN WE SHOULD PROCEED FORWARD WITH A BAKRUPTCY PROTECTION APPLICATION

I have a few clients who have received Medicare (with SSDI) after having filed a Bankruptcy.