Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

Hi Terry L This is Pat at WaterMark, my may be a little

Hi Terry L: This is Pat at WaterMark, my ? may be a little out of your area but I've grown to rely on your sincerity. Can I, as a non-attorney, own a sole-prop. or perhaps a small LLP that would hire a lawyer to appear on cases I prepare in their name for filing in federal court?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

The attorney would most not likely let you do that, since they have a due diligence requirement to the court.

Terry L. :

Now, you can advertise and give leads to the attorney, sure.

Terry L. :

But no attorney would let you use their name to file cases, opens up too much liability.

Terry L. :

The attorney has duties to clients, and by signing their name, even electronically, they are stating as well that they have done a reasonable investigation into the truth of the documents. In your scenario, they would not have done that.

Terry L. :

If you are an attorney, if licensed to practice in that district, you can file documents, and hire a local attorney to appear on your behalf. That's about it.

Terry L. :

Thanks for your question, good luck to you.