How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been advised by my credit union to file for bankruptcy.

Resolved Question:

I've been advised by my credit union to file for bankruptcy.

I moved to Baton Rouge, LA in August, 2010, from Tennessee to go to graduate school and am unsure in which state I should file. I have a permanent address in Tennessee; but, will be in Louisiana for the next three years.

Any idea? Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

You can file in the place of your residence (Louisiana) or your domicile (Tennessee). 28 U.S.C. 1408(1). The choice is yours.

However, regardless of where you file, you have to use the Tennessee Bankruptcy exemptions, as that is your domicile (permanent address). Even if Louisiana were your domicile, you would still have to use the Tennessee exemptions, until you have been domiciled in Louisiana for at least 2 years. Bankruptcy Stat. 522(b)(3)(A).


cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you