How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D. WINOGO ESQ. Your Own Question
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  9+ yrs of litigation experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
D. WINOGO ESQ. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Michigan. I am filing for bankruptcy. If I include

This answer was rated:

I live in Michigan. I am filing for bankruptcy. If I include my house in the bankruptcy will I lose my home? I am divorced and my ex-s name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgages (and 80-20). If I include the house will she be liable for the the mortgage debt then?

Not necessarily. Michigan has a $34,000 homestead exemption, which means that even if the bank holds a mortgage, they cannot touch up to $340000 of your equity in the house. So really, it depends how much you owe on the house and what the house's fair market value is.


If your ex is still on the mortgage, then she is is still liable to pay it off with you.

D. WINOGO ESQ. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you