How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I if I can lower a garnishment payment and or illimenate

This answer was rated:

How can I if I can lower a garnishment payment and or illimenate the excessive interest on something almost 10 years old and have filled bankruptcy since then and can not remember ever receiving a court summons to appear. This was for a lemon car in Missouri. Please help I cannot affor my regular bills for paying this 636 per month it just does not seem right.
Thank you for any help

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Typically this debt would have been discharged in your bankruptcy. This is true regardless of whether you actually listed the debt. You will need to object to the garnishment on the grounds that the debt was discharged in your bankruptcy.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to contact my attorney that filed the bankruptcy or who and how

Your bankruptcy attorney would typically be helpful in your situation. However if you are unable to retain his services, you may go to the clerk of the courts office and inquire whether they have a form answer that you may use to object
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What courts do I contact? Banckruptcy court city or county court? And is there a specific name for this form
The county court where the garnishment was issued -- "Objection to Garnishment"
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you