Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

We are contemplating using Chapter 13 bk as a way to keep our

Customer Question
house and car and restructure...
We are contemplating using Chapter 13 bk as a way to keep our house and car and restructure and repay debt. We have enough income to do that if the mortgager is willing to renegotiate the loan at a lower interest/principal. Here is the question:

We are on S.S and pensions and my husband works part time. At the moment we earn about $70,000/year and have about that much in remaining stocks. We have debt of approx $35,000.

If we go into Chapter 13, can we protect our investments? Also, we need a new car, and can buy one now. Can we protect a new car if we are willing affirm payment obligations?

Sherryll
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/5/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cfortunato, Attorney replied 7 years ago
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney

Hi Customer,

Are you behind with your mortage payments?

Are the stocks set up as an IRA (tax deferred)?

We are not behind in our mortgage payments. Our two year mod expires on 5/1, and at that time the bank proposed to return to a mortgage payment of $2800 at 6% on property bought at $480,00 in 2007, valued at $315,000 now. We put $100,000 down. But--given how much have lost in stocks and not being able to sell our previous home--which we gave in Deed in Lieu to CitiMortgage.

It is my understanding that after we pass 65 and 70, which we have, we cannot set up IRA funds.

Given the information your provided, I don't think a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy will help you. Filing a Bankruptcy cannot affect the mortgage payment. A Chapter 13 Bankruptcy can allow the debtor to pay mortgage arrears over a period of up to 5 years, in addition to paying the regular monthly amount. This is the main advantage of a Chapter 13.

Additionally, your non-IRA investments would be taken to pay your unsecured creditors.

Wouldn't a ch 7 be the same? Also, can we do a 13 to force the bank to adjust mortgage. I thought this was the "payback plan" for people who can pay their debt in 3-5 years. If we have a $2800 month mortgage, we would have to walk away if the bank did not restructure. If the bank did restructure, we may not need bankruptcy at all.

Chapter 7 is for debtors who have little or no assets. In a Chapter 7, debts are discharged with the debtor paying little or nothing. With a Chapter 13, the debtor pays all disposable income to the Bankrutpcy court for 5 years, and after the 5 years most unsecured debt is discharged.

The exemptions are the same for both.

A Chapter 13 cannot force the lender of a first mortgage to adjust the payments. (Actually, Congress recently had the chance to change this, but voted against the change.) However, if the house is underwater and there is a second mortgage, the balance of the second mortgage can be discharged - along with the other unsecured debts - at the end of the 5-year period.

cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney