How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31789
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i got married in a community property state but lived

Resolved Question:

If i got married in a "community property" state but lived for less than 2 years in an "equitable distribution state for the marriage,and is getting divorced, when filing bankruptcy what law is appiled? Community property or equitable [email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Jurisdiction is determined by the state of your marital residence. Where you got married doesn't matter. All that matters is the law in the state of your residence.
Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you