How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex boyfriend and I bought a house 8 years ago. We have

Resolved Question:

My ex boyfriend and I bought a house 8 years ago. We have two children together. He has been out of the home for 6 years and I have paid all of the expenses for this house. He bought another house with another woman in the last two years and is now filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. He just moved out and left the house he bought recently. He was supposed to file a quit claim on the house which we own jointly. He listed my house on his property for the bankruptcy so obviously he did not sign a quit claim. What position does this put me in regarding the bankruptcy he has filed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately your former boyfriend is a 50% owner of your house. This means he is entitled to 50% of the equity in your house. The trustee may attach that equity for the benefit of creditors

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you