Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I had an attorney file a chapter 7 bankruptcy for me and it

I had an attorney file a chapter 7 bankruptcy for me and it was denied so he suggested that we switch it to a chapter 13 and pay $400 per month for 5 years. i had 2 cars and a motorhome that were surrendered. my question is if i don't sign off on the chapter 13 and my unsecured and secured creditors are able to come after the money can they take my home ? i still owe on it and am paying the mortagage on time.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question. In the future, you can request me to answer any further questions.

Terry L. :

If your chapter 7 was denied, and you do not convert letting the case get dismissed, the creditors could come after you, including lawsuits, garnishments, frozen bank accounts and a lien on your home.

Terry L. :

If you do the chapter 13 and complete it, the debts will be discharged.

Terry L. :

You would need to pay the debts yourself, or negotiate new payment terms to avoid suits otherwise.

Terry L. :

Thanks for your question, do you have any others?

Terry L. :

are you there?

Terry L. :

if you do have any questions, let me know. thanks and good luck.