How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are moving to California and walking away from our house

Resolved Question:

We are moving to California and walking away from our house in Florida as we are way upside down on the mortgage? We would not be able to attend hearings or mandated credit counseling in Florida and the house will not go into foreclosure for at least three more months? We need to have decent credit to rent out there so we do not want to declare bankruptcy immediately? Should we get set up with a bankruptcy attorney here in Florida before we leave and then let him/her know when to file or should we wait until we get out to California?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

If you are only now entering the foreclosure process, you have plenty of time to file a Bankruptcy, and should wait until you go to California, as you have to file in the state where you are currently living. (You cannot move to California, and then ask a Florida attorney to file for you.)

cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you