How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I was seriously considering filing chapter 7 bankruptcy,

This answer was rated:

Hi. I was seriously considering filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, because I started an internet business when I was 18, and have gotten myself $87,000 in debt. Due to the economy, my business has slowed down and I can no longer afford the minimum payments. I live with my parents and my car is in their names only, so I don't have any assets besides some electronics. Since filing bankruptcy can be expensive (I've heard the fees for an attorney can be around $2,000), and there's always the chance of some creditors objecting to the discharge, I am now considering just not paying my bills instead. I can always file bankruptcy when and if the creditors start to sue me.

Here's my question. Before I stop making my monthly payments, I'm going to change the phone number with my creditors to a cell phone number that I'll never answer. I'm worried about collection people coming to my house and harassing me or my parents, so I'm going to change my address with them too. There are companies online that will let you use an overseas address that they provide. Would changing my address to an overseas address be a good option?

Hi JACustomer,

Are you worried about an original creditor coming to the home, or a collection agency?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi again

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. I'm worried about a collection agency coming to my home. I've read that it's not common for them to come to your home, but it's still a concern. I thought changing my address to an overseas address might make them think I'm not even in the country right now. I'm not sure if I should do that or just get a UPS Store mailbox in another state.

If you notify a collection agency in writing to stop contacting you - in any manner - they must stop or you can sue them for up to $1,000. This is per the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Because of this, it should not be necessary for you to obtain another address. However, if you do, it should be a street address - not a mailbox - either here or in another country.

Edited by cfortunato on 10/4/2010 at 1:46 PM EST
cfortunato and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you