How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacESQ Your Own Question
ScottyMacESQ, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 16791
Experience:  General Practice Attorney
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
ScottyMacESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have found a website online that has a money back guarantee

Customer Question

I have found a website online that has a money back guarantee that they will correctly prepare paperwork for me to file bankruptcy myself. I know I still need to take an online credit counseling course with certificate before filing, and I will need to have any affirmation agreements with my mortgage company and any other debts I still plan on paying after filing bankruptcy. I will have 6 months of payroll stubs, all bills, bank statements and etc. I also understand that there are separate fees for filing bankruptcy to be paid to court that is not covered by the fee I will pay the website to prepare paperwork. Unfortunately, I just don’t have $1400 to pay a lawyer to prepare bankruptcy for me. Is there any other info I will need? What is your opinion on filing bankruptcy myself?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

First and foremost, make sure that you do your homework on this company. Do a search to see if anyone has had any issues filing, and what the conditions are for getting the guarantee.

ScottyMacEsq :

Start off by gathering all of your bills. Things you cannot have discharged: Child support, federal student loans

ScottyMacEsq :

You can either use this service that you talked about, or get the forms for free at: and click on the link that states Bankruptcy forms.

You need to know what Chapter of banktruptcy you are filing. The main ones for the consumer is chapter 7, this eliminates all debt, If you have a car loan and want to keep the car you simply need to reaffirm the debt by calling your lender, state you are filing banktupty but that you want to reaffirm. Then there is Chapter 13, this is the repayment plan. ( If you have several assets that you dont want to lose, this is probably your best bet, if you have a house etc.) Print all forms. Print the instructions. The instructions will take you step by step for each section to fill out.

Once you have filled out all paperwork and its ready to go. Take to your local bankruptcy courts and file them. They will give you the information as to where to go to take the credit management class. ( this is now a requirement to file bankruptcy).

But you are correct that you do not need an attorney to file bankruptcy. And courts will typically give you a little bit more leniency if you are doing this on your own.

ScottyMacEsq :

Just make sure that you have all the information regarding your assets and liabilities together. You should be fine.

ScottyMacEsq :

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please select the "accept" button. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am filing ch 7, i do have a mortgage, so will i need a reaffirmation aggrement with the bank? i have consulted with a lawyer and he said it would be unlikely they come after my home bc the value/market, if was sold would have to pay real estate agent and split remaining profit with the co-owner and i can protect up to $5000 in homestead in VA. If they do come after house he advised to switch to ch 13. Do i take the credit management class before or after filing?
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 7 years ago.
You don't need to sign the reaffirmation, but understand that the property is still going to be secured by the bank. It's just that if you don't pay, they can't go after you personally.

In terms of credit management, I believe you can do that either before or after, but as a condition to having the bankruptcy case closed it will need to be done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.