Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Are unlawful detainers discharged by bankruptcy If not how

Customer Question
Are unlawful detainers discharged by...
Are unlawful detainers discharged by bankruptcy? If not how long do they stay on your record?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/7/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: cfortunato, Attorney replied 7 years ago
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney

Hi Customer,

Any debts (rent arrears, attorney fees, etc.) resulting from an unlawful detainer are dischargeable in a Bankruptcy. However, you may have to actually go to the clerk at the court that issued the resulting judgment (if one was already issued), and ask to vacate the judgment based on the Bankruptcy. If the judgment does show up on your credit report, then once the judgment is vacated, you have to notify the credit bureaus to remove the judgment from your credit report.

Edited by cfortunato on 9/7/2010 at 2:18 PM EST
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
cfortunato
cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney