How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39045
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In error, I missed three payments on my Chapter 13 plan and

Customer Question

In error, I missed three payments on my Chapter 13 plan and got settlement papers and a new court date. Can I make up the missed payments and get the plan reinstated?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean by "settlement papers?" Was your case dismissed?



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am assuming that the case was dismissed or pending being dismissed for missing three trustee payments. I can bring two of the three payments with me to the next court appearance. I just want to find out if it possible to get the case reinstated.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.
It's largely up to the trustee, because if the trustee doesn't oppose the dismissal of the case, then the court will allow it to continue. So, you may want to contact the trustee and offer to make all of the missed payments immediately. Maybe the trustee will withdraw the motion to dismiss. If you're offering to make a partial payment against the three missed payments, then I think you'll be blown out of the water, unless you can show changed financial circumstances that require that the plan be modified.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am not sure if settlement is the same thing as dismissal?


Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

I think what you mean is that the trustee is looking to resolve an issue of the bankruptcy (maybe the dismissal) by means of a settlement agreement.


The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if you missed three payments, then the trustee can request a dismissal, and the court can order it. You could request a conversion to a Chapter 7, if you qualify, but unless you are able to either negotiate with the trustee or convince the court, then your case will be dismissed, and you will be left at the mercy of your creditors.

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you