Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I recently filed an affirmation agreement on my autoloan with

Customer Question
my credit union. Does the...
I recently filed an affirmation agreement on my autoloan with my credit union. Does the 60 days to cancel it start from the time I signed the agreement or from when the court approved the agreement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/4/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

A debtor may rescind a reaffirmation agreement at any time prior to discharge or within 60 days after filing of the agreement with the court, whichever occurs later, by giving notice of rescission to the creditor. Bankr. Code § 524(c)(4).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Is the date file with the court the date the judge approved it or the date the creditor filed the agreement?
It is the date stamped on the agreement by the bankruptcy court clerk.

on the order approving reaffirmation agreement? or the date the paperwork was filed from the creditor and the hearing was set for approval?

The date that the creditor filed the agreement with the court.

Edited by socrateaser on 9/4/2010 at 9:30 PM EST

It's not from the date the order approving reaffirmation agreement was filed?

Here's a link to the exact text of the statute. BC 524(c)(4). The statute provides that the debt is enforceable if "the debtor has not rescinded such agreement at any time prior to discharge or within sixty days after such agreement is filed with the court, whichever occurs later, by giving notice of rescission to the holder of such claim."

The court's approval is necessary, but it would rarely represent (except by coincidence) the final date barring the debtor's right to rescind the reaffirmation agreement.

Relist: Answer quality.
person answering questions is giving answers I have located myself and not giving me the answer to the question I am asking.

I'm not sure why we are having a disconnect. The date that you must rescind the reaffirmation is 60 days from the date that the agreement was filed with the court. It has nothing to do with the court's approval, unless the approval occurred after 60 days of filing the agreement and after the discharge order was signed by the court.

If you like, tell me when the agreement was filed with the court, the date of disharge from bankruptcy and the date that the court approved the agreement, and I'll tell you what the last date for reaffirmation is. If any of those dates have not yet occurred, then just say so, and I'll consider it in the calculation.

Thanks in advance.

socrateaser, Attorney