WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

Irecently received a summons to appear in court for a judgement

Irecently received a summons to appear in court for a judgement debt that originally was for $251.00. It has now escalated to over$1,000.00. I have an account in Puerto rico with my daughter (either/0r) in both names. Can the judgement be enforced if the account is in both our names? Thank you.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.
THE ENFORCEMENT CAN BE MADE ON ALL COSIGNORS, IF THEY GET A JUDGMENT IT WILL BE FOR BOTH OF YOU, AND THEY CAN ENFORCE IT ON BOTH PEOPLE.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THe credit card account is only in my name and not my daughters. The checking account in Puerto Rico is in both our names. Does the same answer apply?
IF IT IS ONLY IN YOUR NAME, THEY CAN STILL GO AFTER THE JOINT ACCOUNT, YOU SHOULD CLOSE THAT ACCOUNT, AND HAVE IT ONLY IN HER NAME.