How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2 issues, I have been sued by a law firm for a credit card

Resolved Question:

2 issues, I have been sued by a law firm for a credit card debt which is very od
is there a time limit for suing and I also received a document saying that if I want I can reply, I have no income and I am a full time student, what are the options available to me, Secondly I owed some money to a university since 2003 who referred it to a collection agency and they further got a judgement(presumably)
I called the law firm and they could not find my fule (may be case close)
Now what is the time limit for a judment to remain in force.
Am I within my rights to ask the law firm to provide me with a copy of judgement/
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Terry L. :

Hi and thank you for your question.

Terry L. :

Generally the New Jersey Statutes of Limitations are for 6 years for debt collection. This time can be restarted based on payments, or other collection action.

Terry L. :

Credit card debts would be dischargeable in bankruptcy cases. Otherwise, you would need to negotiate with their attorneys to set up a repayment plan. In the case, ask the creditor to provide verification of the debt, and ask them to prove the statute has not run.

Terry L. :

Unfortunately, student loans and educational debt are not dischargeable in bankruptcy cases, so you would need to work something out with these lenders directly to get on a repayment plan or have them deferred to when you are back working.

Terry L. :

You can always request them to provide you with proof of the judgment.

Terry L. :

Thank you for your question, good luck to you.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Should you have any further questions, please contact me. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for getting back to you little late, got some family emergency,

Now what I do with the court notice I have received and what is the impact of mutiple court judgement on my earnings (like wage garnishments, do they get effected at once or I pay a certain percentage)

Expert:  Terry L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.
The creditor is suing you, if they obtain a judgment, they can then do any or all of the following.
1. Put a lien on any real estate
2. Freeze/seize any bank accounts to pay the balance.
3. Garnish wages.
They can garnish up to 15% of your pay.
Government debts and child support can take more.
They will line up if you have multiple.
THanks for your question, good luck to you.
Terry L. and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you