socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I asked you a question a few days ago about a potential BK

I asked you a question a few days ago about a potential BK when I own multiple properties. I appreciated your answer. If I want to keep certain rental properties and can not afford to do a Chapter 11 BK can I put my properties in LLC's to protect them from liens on losses from the 2 properties that I most likely will lose to foreclosure or short sale?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

I want to keep certain rental properties and can not afford to do a Chapter 11 BK can I put my properties in LLC's to protect them from liens on losses from the 2 properties that I most likely will lose to foreclosure or short sale?

A: No. That's what is called a fraudulent transfer. The bankruptcy trustee or your creditors if you don't file bankruptcy, could ask a court to void the transfers, because they were intended to defraud, hinder or delay the creditor's/trustee's recovery.

I don't know the debt allocation of the various properties, but if you were to give up enough of the to get your total secured debt under the $1,081,400 limit, then you could file Chapter 13, which would be considerably less expensive.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.