Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

IF I AM DIVORCED FOR ONE YEAR AND ALL CREDIT CARD DEBTS ARE

IF I AM DIVORCED FOR ONE YEAR AND ALL CREDIT CARD DEBTS ARE IN MY NAME, CAN I CLAIM CHAPTER 7
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Yes you can file a bankruptcy without involving your former spouse. In fact a husband and wife are not required to file a bankruptcy jointly. One party can file without the other.

The effect on the non-filing spouse will be dependent upon whether there are joint debts and/or joint assets. If there are no joint debts and no joint assets, there may be little or no effect on the non-filing spouse. If there are joint debts and/or joint assets, the non-filing spouse would remain liable on the joint debt and the joint assets would need to be included in the filing.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.