How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I loaned a friend some money to pay his child support and

Resolved Question:

If I loaned a friend some money to pay his child support and got a promissory note . Can I still collect the money even if he claimed chapter 7 in the state of Indiana. The exceptions indicate that you cant claim bankrupsy for child support payments?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 7 years ago.

Hi JACustomer,

In general, debts that are incurred to pay debts that are not dischargeable are also not dischargeable. If the money you loaned your friend was used to pay his child support, your loan is not dischargeable.

In other words, the exception that applies to child support also applies to your loan.



cfortunato and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you