socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I am a creditor and my Xwife has filed Bankruptcy Chapter13.

Customer Question

I am a creditor and my Xwife has filed Bankruptcy Chapter13. I have bought the home from the court order to satisfiy the amount of money owed at the sheriff sale. I was supposed to be paid on 8/4/10 or get the home. Bankruptcy was just filed last week. How is this bankruptcy going to affect the collection of the money or the home I am to receive tomorrow? Can she still sell the home while in bankruptcy?
Xwife failed to report earnings during discovery and moved assets that were frozen and I have not been able to get before a judge on this matter yet. Should I put this matter as part of the amount of money owed me?
Can I do a Discovery Motion on the Xwife while this is going on? If so How?
Am I better off as a creditor if her assets exceed the amount of the assets or the other way around?
Would Xwife still liable for the assets that she did not report to the court during the discovery so I could collect at a later date?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

If the sale occurred prior to your ex's filing of the bankruptcy petition, then you own the property, subject to the regular rules of redemption that may permit your ex to recover the property. Otherwise, the sale is void, and your ex still owns the property, subject to the court lifting the automatic bankruptcy stay and permitting another sale.

See In re Glenn, 760 F.2d 1428 (6th Cir. 04/16/1985).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.