Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I am a farmer that is considering filing Chapter 12 bankruptcy,

Customer Question
however I have been told...
I am a farmer that is considering filing Chapter 12 bankruptcy, however I have been told that prior to filing I would need to find a financial institution to provide a operating loan for me. Otherwise the Chapter 12 filing would be denied in court. Is this true or could you please provide any additional information on the issue.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
8/4/2010
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

There is no legal requirement for an operating loan. However, because a Chapter 12 plan must be able to pay in full all of the allowed priority claims over a period of three years, unless extended by the court (see Bankr. Code 507), an operating loan may be required to demonstrate the required cash flow necessary to satisfy the plan requirements.

Note: I don't claim to be an expert re Chapter 12 actions, and certainly not in Arizona. So, few Chapter 12 actions are filed, that I don't know if anyone is an expert. However, there is no Bankruptcy Code, local AZ bankruptcy court rule or general order requiring an operating loan. The sole legal issue is whether a plan can be constructed to devote all of the debtor's income to payment of the bankruptcy plan, plus full payment of the priority claims over the plan's duration.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 8/4/2010 at 1:23 AM EST
socrateaser, Attorney